Introduction to Cardiac Monitor
cardiac monitor.mp4Introduction of the course
This module on Cardiac Monitor demonstrates the parts of a bedside cardiac monitor, how to monitor vital parameters and placement of a 12 lead ECG in a hospitalised patient.
The objective of this course is to:
- Understand the basics of a cardiac monitor and its functioning
- Develop skill in attaching a cardiac monitor to the patient
- Help nurses in clinical practice to monitor the cardiac and respiratory parameters of a hospitalized client and provide appropriate care until discharge
Instructor: Ms. Kanika Rai, Associate Professor, College of Nursing, MMU
Facility: Maharishi Markandeshwar Hospital, Maharishi Markandeshwar University (MMU), Mullana, Ambala
Details of the Course
Introduction of the course
A cardiac monitor is a device that enables continuous monitoring of cardiovascular and pulmonary function of a patient.
The module is divided into two parts:
Part A- Introduction to Cardiac Monitor
This part describes the details of cardiac monitor its parts, and the method of using a cardiac monitor for a hospitalised client.
- Parts of cardiac monitor
- Parameters that can be monitored on a cardiac monitor
- Preparation of a patient while attaching to the cardiac monitor
Part B- Attaching Cardiac Monitor to patient
This part of the module deals with the live demonstration of the steps followed in attaching the cardiac monitor in a hospitalised patient. It also gives a brief review of the observations to be made while attaching the cardiac monitor, instructions given to the client and precautions to be taken in handling electrical equipments in the unit.