Vital signs assessment -Adults
Vital sign assessment.mp4Introduction of the course
This course on Vital signs assessment will discuss about assessment of vital signs including temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and pain.
The objective of this course is to:
- Understand the underlying physiology related to temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure and pain
- Enlist the points regarding the preparation of patient before assessment of vital signs
- Demonstrate the method of assessing vital signs in adults
Instructor: Ms. Gurneet Kaur Khera, Senior Manager – Nursing Education, Bodhi Health Education
Ms. Kirti Nair, Nurse Educator, Bodhi Health Education
Facility: Park Hospital, Gurgaon
Details of the Course
Introduction of the course
Assessment of vital signs is an important function that a nurse performs in order to monitor the patient’s health status. This includes temperature, pulse, breathing and blood pressure. Correct assessment techniques will help a nurse in identifying any signs of deterioration in patient’s health and ensure effective care.
The module is divided into five parts and sub-parts:
Part I: Basics of Temperature assessment
This module gives a description on body temperature and the different sites that can be used to measure the temperature.
- Basic physiology of temperature assessment
- Patient preparation for temperature assessment
- Temperature assessment by oral route (Demonstration)
- Temperature assessment by axillary route (Demonstration)
- Temperature assessment by temporal route
- Temperature assessment by tympanic membrane route (Demonstration)
Part II: Basics of Pulse assessment
This module gives a description on assessment of pulse as one of the vital parameters in patient assessment.
- Basic physiology of pulse
- Various factors affecting pulse
- Assessment of apical pulse (Demonstration)
- Assessment of radial pulse (Demonstration)
Part III: Basics of Respiration assessment
This module describes the physiology, basic concepts of respiration and also how to identify abnormal respiration.
- Basic physiology of respiration
- Basic concepts of respiration assessment- normal range, factors affecting respiration
- Procedure of respiration assessment-articles required, patient preparation, method of assessing respiration
- Assessment of respiration (Demonstration)
Part IV: Basics of Blood Pressure assessment
Blood pressure measurements assist with assessment of a patient's cardiovascular status. Blood pressure assessment is a fundamental clinical skill that is frequently performed by the health care professional and one considered as technically challenging to master.
- Basic physiology of blood pressure
- Basic concepts of blood pressure assessment- Signs of abnormal blood pressure
- Procedure of blood pressure assessment-
- Assessment of blood pressure (Demonstration)
Part V: Basics of Pain
Most health care providers are used to having the four routine vital signs recorded namely temperature, pulse respiration and blood pressure every time a patient presents for a medical assessment. Yet the most common reason for seeking medical care is pain. This module will help you to understand the Basic concepts of Pain and the different ways the health care providers can assess pain.
- Basics of pain
- Basics of pain assessment
- Pain scales